TEQUILA LIME FLAMING QUESO is the most fun way to eat cheese dip! This delicious queso is loaded with pico and green chiles, topped with a chili lime reduction, and then doused in tequila and lit on fire! The ultimate NYE or Super Bowl appetizer!
My parents recently moved to STL, did I tell you?! We are SO THRILLED to have them close. It’s so nice to be able to see them whenever we want to, not to mention not having to drive 3.5 hours to visit them. We were lucky that they came into town a lot (mostly to see my niece and nephew but I’ll pretend it was to see us too haha), but bottom line is we are so glad they’re here. They live only a couple miles away, so it’s easy to get together for cooking (“MOM, HELP” is a very regular text when I’m cooking), watch a Chief’s game, or meet for a quick lunch. Mom and I recently met up to do some shopping and eat Mexican food (duh) and tried a new to us place in Chesterfield. The chips and salsa were excellent (a must), but our favorite dish of the day was their Flaming Queso! I had never seen such a fun appetizer, and knew I had to make my own version at home. I decided to spice things up a bit by making TEQUILA LIME FLAMING QUESO and it was just as easy and delicious to recreate at home as I imagined…an instant winner! We will be watching the Super Bowl with Mom and Dad with this Flaming Queso on demand…that is for sure!
What’s more fun than getting to play with fire AND eat delicious melty cheese? I seriously can’t think of a thing. I used Queso Chihuahua cheese, topped with fresh pico de gallo and green chiles (OLD EL PASO of course, my ultimate favorite, as you guys know. What would I ever do without them?!?!), and then a delicious Chili Lime Simple Syrup. You guys…the flavor that simple syrup adds is outrageous! Just the right amount of spice, sweet, and pizazz. You bake it until melty and bubbly, then douse it all in tequila and set it on fire (BE CAREFUL). I’m OBSESSED and cannot wait for you to try it!! Aren’t you intrigued?
I just love how lighting it all on fire creates an extra flavor dimension. It’s such a delicious, semi-charred taste and I simply can’t stop thinking about. Tequila Lime Flaming Queso really takes cheese dip to a whole new level.
You guys better let me know how much you love this! And you better make it for NYE and for the Super Bowl! There’s never enough cheese dip! Enjoy!!
Becky Hardin | The Cookie Rookie
Tequila Lime Flaming Queso
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 ounces Queso Chihuahua Cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can Old El Paso Green Chiles, fully drained
- ½ cup fresh pico de gallo
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1.5 ounces (1 shot) tequila
- Tortilla chips or warmed Old El Paso Tortillas for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray a small casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside
- In a small saucepan, heat sugar, lime juice, and chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once mixture has reduced by half, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place one layer of cubed cheese into the bottom of the casserole dish
- Pour on pico and green chiles, and top with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Pour lime mixture over the cheese.
- Place casserole dish in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and bubby. Remove from the oven and slightly stir to combine.
- Immediately pour tequila over the cheese and light to set on fire. (BE CAREFUL! The tequila can light relatively quickly. Take caution when lighting it, I recommend using a long armed lighter) The flame should burn out pretty quickly, you can light more than once if desired. Once its charred to your liking, serve immediately with chips or warmed tortillas.
Link to the original: Source link