It’s fall and yes, I’m still crazy about the corn BUT hear me out – this cozy cornbread recipe is the perfect accompaniment to your favorite bowl of chili (two of my favorites are here and here). Chili and cornbread are, in my humble opinion, what fall dreams are made of. It’s the perfect dinner to cuddle up with on the couch.
I have a few cornbread recipes here on the blog, but this spicy chipotle version is my new favorite. To the (vegan) cornbread base, I add chopped chipotle peppers, scallions, and kernels of fresh corn (although frozen is fine too, see below). This cornbread is lightly sweet, savory, and a tad spicy. It freezes well so I like to keep a stockpile in my freezer for whenever the cornbread craving hits 🙂
Spicy Chipotle Cornbread
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cornmeal (I like Arrowhead Mills)
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose or white/wheat mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, at room temperature
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels*
- 1 chipotle from canned chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing 3 inches of overhang on two sides, or lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the flaxseed mixture, then add the almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the corn kernels, chipotle, and scallions. Don’t overmix. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
*if using frozen corn, let thaw at room temperature on kitchen towels to remove excess moisture.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.
Link to the original: Source link