This Italian-inspired meatloaf is flavored with lots of herbs and two cheeses. It has a firm texture and makes excellent cold sandwiches on crusty bread.
Dietary Considerationpeanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturecheesy, herby, meaty, savory
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground mild Italian sausage
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup coarse dried sourdough bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine (optional)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except ½ cup of the tomato sauce and the mozzarella and mix well. Turn the mixture into a lightly sprayed or oiled 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and gently pat down. Bake for 45 minutes. Spread the remaining tomato sauce on the top of the loaf and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until the cheese melts and the sauce is warmed, about 10 minutes longer. Let stand in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Remove the loaf from the pan and slice to serve.
To make dried bread crumbs:
Spread the fresh breed crumbs on a baking sheet and let dry in a 200°F oven for about 20 minutes or on the counter overnight.
2007 Maryana Vollstedt
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
We are adding your Comments.
Thank you! Your comment has been added.
We are sorry. There was an error tyring to post your rating and review.
Your comment will appear after our editors have had a chance to review it.
Link to the original: Source link