Classic chocolate no-bake cookies topped with mint frosting and chocolate ganache — a twist on my favorite no-bake mint chocolate bars! Perfect for Christmas or a sweet summer treat! Includes step by step recipe video.
I’ve been known to get a little crazy when it comes to starting my Christmas baking and decorating.
Usually, the husband makes me hold off with the tree until after November 11, but in 2014 we were expecting our second daughter in mid-December, and this year we were expecting our third (yes, third. No, we weren’t “trying for a boy“) daughter in mid-November.
My Christmas spirit tends to get kicked into overdrive a little earlier when I know I’m going to be living in a sleep-deprived daze throughout the holiday season. But who can blame me??
I’m honestly not sure I know anyone who doesn’t love one of these classic No Bake Chocolate Cookies.
They’re ridiculously easy and insanely delicious. And they’re so good that no one is really going to judge you for only spending 5 minutes making them.
But let’s say you want to take an extra 5 (okay, maybe 15) and make them extra special?
I highly suggest a slather of mint buttercream and a crisp chocolate coating. Especially in December or November or October or any month of the year when you’re not interested in slaving over cookie sheets and cookie scoops and heating the whole house with the oven.
Going for an extra, extra special holiday touch? Smash up some of last year’s candy canes and sprinkle them over the chocolate before it sets.
With baby Stella arriving this November, I definitely had the tree up November 1st and, if I’m totally honest, started Christmas baking in the Spring.
Let’s just say I did it for you though, because I wanted to have some sweet treats ready to share with you this year and wasn’t exactly sure how that would work with a newborn baby in my arms 😉
There are so many ways you can mix these up if you’re in the mood. Try white chocolate on top or some coloured candy melts. Use some other flavourings for your buttercream — go chocolate or almond or coconut or orange or just change up the food colouring to get the littles excited.
I would love to hear how you make them your own!
Watch the recipe video and see how easy they are to make!
Fudgy Mint Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
20 mins Prep Time
5 mins Cook Time
0:25 Total Time
Gooey chocolate no-bake cookies topped with cool and creamy mint frosting and smothered in rich chocolate ganache — the perfect no-bake treat for summer or to add to your list of Christmas baking!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups oats (I use quick)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp mint extract
- green food coloring
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- Line 2 cookie sheets with wax paper.
- In a large pot, combine butter, sugar, cocoa and milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, and boil 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and salt. Add oats and coconut and stir to combine.
- Drop into 24 spoonfuls onto wax paper. Refrigerate until set.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. To a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer), add butter, icing sugar and milk and beat until creamy and blended. Add in mint extract and food coloring. If necessary, add an extra tbsp sugar or milk to achieve the right consistency — you do not want the icing runny.
- Remove cookies from the fridge and spread with frosting. Return to the fridge to let the frosting set.
- Make the ganache: In a small pot, combine chocolate, milk and butter over very low heat. Cook and stir constantly until chocolate is smooth. Set aside to cool 5-10 minutes. Spread on cooled cookies, and return to the refrigerator to allow chocolate to set.
- Because they are slightly gooey, I like to store them in the fridge or freezer with wax paper between layers so they don’t stick together.
Link to the original: Source link