This Streusel-Topped Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe is loaded with fresh strawberries (though you could use any berries!) and topped with a crunchy brown sugar streusel. The best way to use your summer berries! Perfect for 4th of July or summer cookouts. Includes step by step recipe video.
If you’ve ever searched The Recipe Rebel for pie recipes, you’d see that my selection is actually pretty slim. I’ve got a No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Cream Pie, one Pumpkin Pie, one Chocolate Pie and some Cranberry Apple Pies, and that’s about it.
But sometimes there’s just nothing else that’s as good a canvas as pastry for fresh summer fruit. And if I can top said pie in brown sugar streusel?? I’m a yes.
I’m not really great at making pie crust really pretty, which is another reason why the streusel really works for me. I can load up the filling so you can’t really see how ugly the bottom crust is, and then just haphazardly sprinkle my streusel over top the strawberries. No one will ever know if your pie skills are as lacking as mine are! I promise 😉
Strawberry season is super short here (we get maybe a couple weeks of fresh local strawberries!) so you can be sure that I’ll be working on an adaptation for frozen berries soon — you’d just need to add a little more corn starch to thicken the juices as they run out — but for now, make good use of those fresh berries while you’ve got them!
- This pie crust recipe is very slightly adapted from Martha Stewart. It’s super simple, even for someone who’s not great at pie!
- If you want to mix up your filling and add a variety of berries, feel free! Just about anything should work in this recipe. A little rhubarb would also be great!
- I added a few more berries to the recipe after photographing it, so your layer of berries will be a little thicker than shown, but there is still a great strawberry-to-streusel ratio going on!
Watch the recipe video and see how easy it is to make!
Streusel-Topped Fresh Strawberry Pie + RECIPE VIDEO
This Streusel-Topped Fresh Strawberry Pie is loaded with fresh strawberries (though you could use any berries!) and topped with a crunchy brown sugar streusel. The best way to use your summer berries! Perfect for 4th of July or summer cookouts. Includes step by step recipe video.
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cold
- 3-4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 lbs strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup butter, cold
- ½ cup (115g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (110g) large rolled oats (not steel cut, not instant)
- ½ cup (62g) flour (all purpose or whole wheat)
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt and sugar. Cut butter into cubes and cut into the flour mixture until crumbly, using a pastry cutter or a fork, or your hands!
- Add just enough cold water so that a dough forms, working the dough with your hands until it comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or even overnight!).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out pie crust on a cool surface, slighlty larger than your pie plate. Place in pie plate and trim edges (go all fancy if you must!).
- Stir together strawberries, sugar and corn starch and place in pie crust.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, oats and flour with a pastry cutter, fork or your hands until crumbly. Mixture will resemble an oatmeal cookie dough — that’s okay!
- Top strawberries with streusel mixture, breaking into small chunks with your hands and pressing down onto the berries slightly.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown on top (cover with tin foil if it browns too quickly) and berries are bubbly and thickened. Serve immediately or let cool to room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Link to the original: Source link