Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting is cool, creamy and loaded with chopped chocolate. Perfect for topping a chocolate cake or cupcake!
It’s FROSTING FRIDAY time again!!
Today we’re talking about everyone’s favorite ice cream flavor! Mint Chocolate Chip is perfect in a sundae, but I’m telling you it’s even more perfect topped on your favorite cake, or sandwiched in a whoopie pie!
The great thing about this frosting is how EASY it is! Remember back on week one of Frosting Friday when I showed you guys the Perfect Buttercream Recipe? I also mentioned that over the course of our frosting adventures we would build on that recipe and turn it into other fun creations.
Today, that is happening.
All you do for gloriously creamy mint chip frosting is make a batch of my Perfect Buttercream…
And to that you add a few drops of green food coloring AND a small amount of peppermint extract, NOT to be confused with MINT extract. Trust me, I’ve done that before, and what you end up with is a huge batch of toothpaste flavored icing. Not cool, bro.
Then finely chop up some semi-sweet chocolate. I actually prefer using Hershey’s Special Dark Bars for this, reason being, they taste great (because they’re meant for snacking) and they are relatively soft in texture (as far as dark chocolate goes).
When I was testing this recipe I preferred this bar over all the others for those reasons alone…AND when I tried the recipe with actual chocolate chips (both regular and mini sized) I didn’t love the hard bits in the frosting. Of course, if you can’t find this chocolate bar at your store go with whatever good tasting dark chocolate you can find.
But chop it up finely…
Chopping it finely works best for spreading or piping. Plus, the chocolate dust you get while chopping is GREAT in the frosting!
Stir all that yumminess in…
And you’re left with creamy, buttery, cool Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting!
Consume as desired…
If you make any of the recipes from my Frosting Friday series, post you pictures on Instagram and use the hashtag #FrostingFriday !!
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting
- 1½ cups butter, room temperature
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ – ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- a few drops of green food coloring
- 6 Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Bars, finely chopped (9 ounces)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Turn the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar until it’s mixed in.
- Slowly stream in ¼ cup of the heavy cream and peppermint extract. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and mix for 1 minute until creamy. Add additional heavy cream, if a creamier frosting is desired.
- Turn mixer to low and add in chopped chocolate. Stir until combined.
*Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for 1 moth. Allow the frosting to come to room temperature before using.
Link to the original: Source link