Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili-this healthy and hearty vegan chili is full of flavor! It makes a great easy weeknight meal.
The holidays are over and that is always a bit of a bummer, but I am excited for 2017. Over the break, I did a little organizing, planning, and set a few goals for the new year. I have a feeling 2017 is going to be a GREAT year. What are you looking forward to this year? Did you set any goals or make any resolutions?
If you are looking for an easy and healthy recipe to start the new year, you should make this Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili. It is my current favorite chili and I think you will love it too!
December was full of sugar for me. I baked and ate A LOT of cookies. There were days when I was all sugared out and craved healthy, hearty REAL food. On those days, I turned to this Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili. I made a big pot at the beginning of December and put the leftovers in the freezer and I am SO glad I did. Those leftovers saved me from living off of just sugar during the busy holiday season.
This chili is easy to make and full of flavor. It is loaded with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and cilantro. It simmers on the stove for about 45 minutes so the sweet potatoes can soften and so the flavors can all come together. While it is simmering, you can relax, put your feet up, and anticipate a big bowl of chili.
I like to garnish the chili with avocado slices, green onion, fresh cilantro, and tortilla chips. Feel free to add your favorite toppings! And remember, you might want to double the recipe so you can put some in the freezer. This Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili comes in handy when you are craving healthy comfort food. It hits the spot every time!
Wishing you all a FABULOUS 2017! Let’s do this!
If you like this Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili, you might also like:
Sweet Potato Chickpea Chili
This healthy and hearty vegan chili is full of flavor! It is great for lunch, dinner, or game day!
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (2 small sweet potatoes)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 2 (15 oz) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy bottom pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion, sweet potato, and red pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion is softened. Add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and chili has thickened.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with avocado, cilantro, green onions, chips, and any other desired toppings. Serve warm.
Note-this chili will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. It also freezes well. Cool completely and store in a freezer container. The chili can be frozen for up to 2 months. This chili recipe can easily be doubled.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
Link to the original: Source link