This summer, more than any other, we’ve really taken advantage of cooking outside on the grill. It’s warm, it’s breezy, and charred food is always delicious. With pretty much every vegetable I’ve come across in the past few months, I’ve thought “how can I grill that?”
So when I saw these multicolored Organic Mini Peppers at ALDI, I immediately knew that I’d skewer and grill them! I always love making stuffed red bell peppers in the summertime, but how cute are these mini stuffed peppers?? I have an affinity for miniature things so these little guys were so fun to cook and, of course, even more fun to eat.
Before tossing these little guys into the fire, I recommend making the tasty fresh pineapple salsa. In summer, I love to use fresh fruits to balance out my meals with a little sweetness. I was blown away by the options ALDI offered, but this pineapple was the perfect choice for a sweet & spicy salsa. It also makes extra, because having fresh salsa in the fridge is what summer is all about (right?).
The peppers are grilled, stuffed with cilantro-lime rice, and served with chipotle pinto beans on the side. The beans, by the way, couldn’t be simpler – just mix pinto beans with smoky chopped chipotle peppers.
I highly recommend that you serve these components together as a complete meal because they really complement each other perfectly. The spicy/smoky pinto beans play so well with the cool cilantro-rice stuffed peppers and the sweet pineapple salsa. Just add margaritas!
So often, putting together a menu for entertaining can get pricey, but everything here – including the beautiful, fresh organic produce – came from ALDI and was insanely affordable. Plus, I was able to pick up everything super quick and get back to grilling. Everything here is pretty diet-restriction-friendly, so you won’t have to worry if one friend is gluten-free and the other is vegan.
I’ve been continually impressed by the produce and affordable groceries at ALDI, let me know if you give it a try and what you think!
Mini Stuffed Peppers with Pineapple Salsa
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ½ jalapeno, diced
- Juice and zest of lime
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Stonemill Sea Salt
- ½ tablespoon SimplyNature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon Stonemill Sea Salt
- 1 cup Specially Selected Jasmine Rice
- heaping ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- freshly ground Stonemill Black Pepper
- 1 can SimplyNature Organic Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers from a can of Pueblo Lindo Chipotle Peppers, diced*
- 1 pound organic mini sweet peppers, sliced in half, seeds and ribbing removed
- SimplyNature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Stonemill Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Make the pineapple salsa: In a medium bowl, combine the pineapple, red onion, jalapeño, lime juice and zest, cilantro, garlic, and sea salt. Season to taste and chill until ready to use.
- Make the cilantro lime rice: Cook the rice according to package directions. In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, green onions, lime juice and zest, salt, and pepper to taste. Fold in 2 cups of the cooked rice and the cilantro. Season to taste and set aside.
- Make the beans: In a small bowl, combine the pinto beans with the chipotle peppers. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Thread the peppers onto metal skewers, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with pinches of salt and pepper. Grill 2 minutes per side or until charred and tender but not collapsed.
- Remove the peppers from the skewers and fill each pepper with rice and top with pineapple salsa. Serve with the pinto beans and extra pineapple salsa on the side.
*use 1 pepper for a mild flavor, 2 peppers for spicier beans.
This post was created in partnership with ALDI, thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep us cooking!
Link to the original: Source link