Welcome to part 2 of Meal Prep Breakfast Taco week! If you don’t know what I’m talking about, go check out Monday’s post and read about how we’re prepping once to make 3 different breakfast tacos throughout the week. If you’re not a tacos-for-breakfast person, you can make these for lunch or dinner just the same. Me? I go to bed dreaming of tortillas…
So taco #2 is… Shiitake Bacon & Egg Tacos!
Shiitake “Bacon” is this magical thing where you toss sliced shiitake mushrooms with olive oil and tamari, then you bake them until they’re shriveled and crisp around the edges. It has a wonderfully deep umami savory flavor that’s not exactly like bacon, but deliciously bacon-esque, and OMG it’s perfection in breakfast tacos! These are so yummy with fresh cherry tomato pico and, of course, sliced avocado.
Here’s what I prepped in advance:
– Shiitake Bacon – store it in the fridge; if you like, you can warm it in the oven before serving.
– Cherry Tomato Pico
Here’s what I made fresh:
– scrambled the eggs
– sliced avocado
– topped with a few microgreens and some sliced serrano (all optional)
Here’s a downloadable PDF grocery list for the whole week of 3 recipes. Stay tuned for taco #3 on Friday!
Shiitake “Bacon” & Egg Breakfast Tacos
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ jalapeño, stemmed and diced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 4 tortillas, charred or warmed
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Microgreens, optional
- Sliced serrano peppers, optional
- Lime wedges, if desired, for serving
- Make the Shiitake Bacon: Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the shiitake mushrooms with the olive oil and tamari and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast 30 to 40 minutes or until dark brown and lightly crisp around the edges. Set aside. (If you made your shiitake bacon in advance, warm it in the oven for a few minutes, if desired.)
- Make the Cherry Tomato Pico: In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno and salt. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, brush a medium nonstick stick skillet lightly with olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the eggs, let them cook for a few seconds, and then stir and scramble until the eggs until just set.
- Assemble the tacos with the eggs, avocado slices, shiitake bacon, scoops of the cherry tomato pico. Top with the microgreens and sliced serranos and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
For a vegan option: I would make the tacos with a scoop of refried black beans, (spiced with a little chili powder) in place of the eggs.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #loveandlemons on Instagram.
Link to the original: Source link