Turmeric Chickpea Vegetable Soup-this healthy vegetable soup is filled with colorful vegetables, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and chickpeas. Enjoy a bowl for lunch or dinner, it will fill you up and warm you up!
Healthy Vegetable Soup
I could eat soup every single day, especially during the winter or on a cold, rainy day. A hearty bowl of soup will warm you up and keep you full for hours. I love this healthy Turmeric Chickpea Vegetable Soup because it is loaded with vegetables and flavor.
This is the perfect soup for kicking off the new year because it is loaded with healthy ingredients. If you are looking for a detox soup, this is a good one! It is also a great soup to eat when you are sick because it is loaded with goodness and will make you feel better. There is never a bad time to enjoy a bowl of this healthy vegetable soup!
Vegetable Soup Ingredients
This Turmeric Chickpea Vegetable Soup is made with lots of vegetables and spices.
For the vegetables I like to use:
- red bell pepper
You can easily sub in any veggies you have on hand. Broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, and spinach would also be good in this vegetable soup.
For the spices and flavor, I add:
- fresh ginger (if you don’t have fresh ginger, you can use ground ginger. I keep fresh ginger in the freezer at all times. It will keep for months and it is easy to grate when it is frozen)
- bay leaf
- cayenne pepper (I use a little so the soup isn’t spicy, it just adds a nice kick. If you want more spice, you can add more)
I love using turmeric in this soup because turmeric is so good for you and I love the warming flavor it adds. Turmeric and its most active compound curcumin, have been proven to prevent heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer. It’s a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and may also help improve symptoms of depression and arthritis. Plus, turmeric and cauliflower are a match made in heaven, have you tried my Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower? SO good! And turmeric isn’t hard to find, you can buy it at any grocery store in the spice aisle.
For a protein boost, I add chickpeas to the soup. If you wanted to bulk up the soup, you could add in quinoa, pasta, or farro. You could also add in chicken.
How to Make Homemade Vegetable Soup
Homemade soup is the BEST, so much better than canned soup, and it’s so easy to make at home. I like to make a big pot so I can eat leftovers all week. Trust me, you will want to eat this healthy soup every day because it is so delicious!
- Make sure you have a big pot to make the soup.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat and add the onion, carrots, celery, and red pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. You will want to stir the vegetables occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan and so they cook evenly. Add the garlic and cook for two additional minutes.
- Add the cauliflower florets, bay leaf, turmeric, ginger, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let the soup simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and chopped kale. Taste and season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm.
- The soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
How to Freeze Vegetable Soup
You can freeze vegetable soup. In fact, I highly recommend freezing vegetable soup so you always have a healthy meal on hand. To freeze, let the soup cool completely. Pour the soup into a freezer container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. You can freeze a big portion of soup or you can divide the soup up into individual portions. I like to freeze individual portions for a great grab and go healthy lunch! Defrost and heat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
Turmeric Chickpea Vegetable Soup
This Healthy Vegetable Soup Is Filled With Colorful Vegetables, Turmeric, Ginger, Garlic, And Chickpeas. Enjoy A Bowl For Lunch Or Dinner, It Will Fill You Up And Warm You Up!
medium yellow onion
red bell pepper
seeds removed and chopped
small cauliflower florets
grated fresh ginger
15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
Stir in the cauliflower and add the bay leaf, ginger, turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir until veggies are coated in spices. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let the soup simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in the chickpeas and chopped kale. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, if necessary.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm.
If you want a stronger ginger flavor, you can use more fresh ginger. If you don’t have fresh ginger, you can use 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger. If you want the soup to be spicier, add more cayenne pepper. You can use spinach instead of kale in this recipe.
Turmeric Chickpea Vegetable Soup
Amount Per Serving (6 g)
Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrates 12g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Link to the original: Source link