This sweet potato taco recipe is an old favorite that I wanted to re-share with you. I first started making these tacos years ago, but it’s one of those recipes that I come back to time and time again because it’s such a filling & flavorful vegetarian weeknight dinner option. The list of ingredients is short and the steps are easy – what’s not to love? Plus, I just think roasted sweet potatoes are such a cozy wintertime food, especially when they’re wrapped up into warm tortillas like a big hug.
There are basically two steps to the recipe:
- Make the avocado yogurt sauce: Simply blend together Greek yogurt, avocado, garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper. If you’re vegan, I’ve listed a cashew cream option in the recipe below. Vegan mayo would also be a great substitute for the yogurt. For a more herbaceous sauce, blend in a handful of cilantro. If you like things spicy, consider adding a chunk of jalapeño, to taste.
- Roast the sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
That’s it! Just assemble the tacos with the sauce, sweet potatoes, and black beans. This time, I topped mine with a few pickled onions. In the past, I’ve topped them with additional diced avocado (see the picture below).
Lastly, I always, always, always finish my sweet potato tacos with a big squeeze of lime for extra pop!
Avocado Sweet Potato Tacos
Author: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe type: main dish
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 to 6 tortillas (I like these white corn & wheat tortillas)
- 1 cup black beans, cooked, drained, and rinsed
- lime slices, for serving
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 small avocado
- ½ garlic clove
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt & fresh black pepper
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 scallions, diced
- crumbled feta or Cotija cheese
- pickled onions
- microgreens or fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper, and spread onto the baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a small food processor, combine the yogurt, avocado, garlic, lime juice, and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to use.
- Assemble the tacos with a scoop of the sauce, the roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, and desired toppings. Season with salt, pepper, and squeezes of lime.
Gluten free option: Sub GF corn tortillas
Link to the original: Source link