Sometimes you just need a quick, tasty side dish to complete your summertime meal, so let me introduce you to – cilantro lime rice! This recipe couldn’t be easier, and it’s perfect to have in your back pocket for quick, weeknight burrito bowls – just add beans, veggies, salsa, and guacamole. It also pairs nicely with whatever you’re grilling – serve it alongside grilled avocados or next to grilled veggie kabobs, maybe with a little chipotle sauce over the top. You get the idea. On to the recipe!
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
Making this cilantro lime rice recipe couldn’t be simpler. Beyond cooking the rice, there are only a few extra steps:
- Start by cooking your rice on the stove or in a rice cooker (stovetop instructions are listed in the recipe below). Long-grain white jasmine or basmati rice are my top choices, but you could also use short grain white or brown rice if that’s what you have in your pantry. Just be sure to use an appropriate water:rice ratio for whatever variety you choose.
- When the rice is finished cooking, mix it with minced garlic, scallions, and lime zest while it’s hot.
- Allow it to cool slightly, and then add olive oil, sea salt, lime juice, cilantro, and jalapeño or red pepper flakes if you like your rice spicy.
- Serve it as a side dish or use it as a component in your favorite burrito bowl!
Cilantro Lime Rice Serving Suggestions
With its fresh, bright flavor, this green rice goes especially well with Asian and Mexican-inspired dishes. Serve it as a simple side dish with tacos or a protein of your choice or try stuffing it into peppers like these mini peppers or these poblanos! It would also be a great base for any of these bowl recipes:
Let me know what other creative uses you find for it!
Love this cilantro lime rice recipe?
Try making cauliflower rice next!
Cilantro Lime Rice
Author: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe type: side dish
- 1 cup long-grain jasmine rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1½ cups water
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- pinch of red pepper flakes or ¼ diced jalapeño, optional
- Combine the rice, water, and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes (or check the time listed on the package of your rice).
- Uncover, fluff with a fork, then add the garlic, scallions, lime zest, and stir to combine. Let cool 1 minute then add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, lime juice, cilantro, and red pepper flakes or jalapeño, if using. Stir to combine and season to taste.
Link to the original: Source link