Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake is an easy ice cream cake recipe, with chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla ice cream and layers of crushed Oreo cookies in between!
Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake An Easy and Pretty Summer Dessert!
If you are looking for a stunner of a summer dessert recipe, I am here for you today! This Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake is so easy to make, can be made way ahead, and serves up the prettiest slice of cake you ever did see! And making an ice cream cake at home is so seriously simple.
Ice Cream Cake is my kid’s most favorite dessert. I actually don’t make them too often…but when I do I always get, “why don’t you make this more?” And the answer is, I don’t know! I mean, you throw them together in minutes, and they can stay in your freezer for whenever you’re craving a slice. It’s really the perfect homemade summer dessert! My favorite Ice Cream Cake is my Brownie Bottom Ice Cream Cake. If you haven’t tried it yet, you really need to!
And while this Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake LOOKS pretty fancy, it really couldn’t be easier.
What Is Neapolitan Ice Cream?
Let’s start at the beginning. What actually IS Neapolitan Ice cream? I mean, it’s a whole thing that has been around for ages, but it’s regularly overlooked. But it’s kind of the perfect ice cream flavor for those of us who can never decide. And I swear whenever I eat it, I always think it’s pretty perfect!
After a little internet searching I found that the theory on the Neapolitan ice cream we all know, made up of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream, originally came from immigrants from the Italian city of Naples. They brought over with them, the frozen dessert Spumoni, which is a molded gelato dessert made up of layers that typically would represent the colors of the Italian flag. I am no historian, so correct me if I’m wrong on this. Anyhow, since chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry are 3 popular flavors here in the States it got a little morphed into “Neapolitan”.
How Do You Make Homemade Ice Cream Cake?
Here’s the fun (and easy) part! All you need are 4 (or 5 if you’re fancy) ingredients and a springform pan!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Oreo Cookies
- Whipped Cream if you want!
Tools You Will Need:
- Springform Pan. You don’t HAVE to use a springform pan, but it makes it way easier to slice and remove the cake! Here’s the springform pan that I have and use a ton for this recipe, cheesecakes etc.
- Ice Cream Scoop. Or a large spoon to scoop the ice cream out of the containers.
- Off-set Spatula. This will make spreading the ice cream in layers much easier, but you could also use a rubber spatula.
- Food Processor/Blender/Zip-Top Bag and Rolling Pin. Any of the three of these will work to crush the cookies you use use in between the layers of ice cream.
The Assembly Process:
- Place the Springform pan in the freezer. This will help when you start to spread your softened ice cream in the pan, so it doesn’t melt out of the bottom of the pan. Trust me on this. I’ve made this a few times, and this step helps huge!
- Soften the ice cream for about 20 minutes before you start.
- Crush your cookies in the food processor, blender, or in a zip-top bag.
- Spread the chocolate ice cream in the bottom of the pan, top it with cookie crumbs, and repeat the layers with the other 2 flavors!
- Freeze it until it is firm!
- Top it with whipped cream if you would like and sprinkle with some more cookie crumbs as a garnish!
This Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake is such a fun twist on homemade ice cream cake! Everyone loves this recipe and I hope I’ve shown you that making ice cream cake is not only easy, but can be fun!
Love Ice Cream Cake? Try These Recipes:
Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake is an easy ice cream cake recipe that is perfect for a party!
- 3 cups chocolate ice cream
- 3 cups strawberry ice cream
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 (14.3- ounce) package chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed (36 cookies)
- 1 1/2 cups whipped cream
- Allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- When you pull the ice cream out of the freezer, place a 9- inch springform pan in the freezer to chill.
- When the ice cream has softened, pull the pan out of the freezer. Spread the chocolate ice cream on the bottom of the pan. Use a large off-set spatula to get it as smooth as you can.
- Top the chocolate layer with 1 cup of Oreo Crumbs. Spread them evenly on top of and press gently into the ice cream.
- Spread the strawberry ice cream on top of the crushed cookies, and repeat with another cup of the cookie crumbs.
- Finish with the vanilla ice cream, spreading evenly. Cover the ice cream with plastic wrap, pressing it into the ice cream to seal. Cover the plastic wrap with aluminum foil and place in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve remove from the freezer, spread whipped cream on top and sprinkle the remaining cookie crumbs on the whipped cream, if desired.
- Loosen the ice cream from the pan by running a butter knife around the edges and then release the sides of the pan.
- Slice and serve immediately.
Store airtight in the freezer for up to 30 days
Keywords: cookies and cups, ice cream, ice cream cake, dessert recipe, Neapolitan
Link to the original: Source link