I’ll be honest, most mornings my breakfast can be made in less than 45 seconds. It’s a smoothie 9 times outta 10. But on those weekend mornings when I have a few extra minutes to spare, these Coconut Blueberry Pancakes are the name of the game!
Blueberries are coming out of my EARS from all my farmers market hauls these past few weeks. I’ve been freezing them for smoothies, throwing them into blondie brownies, using them for shortcakes, adding them to salads, you name it. Recently they went into my favorite pancake recipe to give it a summer spin. The result – pops of freshness within a super delicious pancake that’s smothered with butter and syrup. It’s the perfect weekend treat!
A few things about these pancakes – you’ll see that the recipe calls for milk and vinegar. That’s not a typo – vinegar essentially turned the milk into buttermilk. You could just use buttermilk, but I find that every time I buy a carton of buttermilk, I use like 1/4 of a cup and then it just goes bad. So this DIY buttermilk situation works best for us and I’m guessing you guys too!
Another quick thing – while this specific recipe below is for Coconut Blueberry Pancakes, you can easily sub the blueberries for chopped strawberries, chocolate chips, or banana slices. Whatever your heart desires. I mean, there are plenty of other pancake flavor combos… but those are my favs! Okay – have at it! Happy weekend.
Coconut Blueberry Pancakes
- 3/4 cup milk, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, plus more as needed
- more coconut oil for the pan
- Combine the milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together. Add the egg, milk/vinegar mixture, vanilla and melted coconut oil and stir until just combined – careful not to over mix anything.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt an additional tablespoon of the coconut oil in the pan and swirl to coat. Pour 1/3 cup of pancake batter into the skillet. Arrange a few blueberries on top. Cook until you see little bubbles on top and the edges starting to turn golden brown. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the pancakes are cooked through. Serve with butter and maple syrup.
Link to the original: Original Source Link