Cheesy Potato Casserole is one of my all time favorite side dish recipes. It’s loaded with cheese and shredded potatoes, seasoned to perfection and topped with buttery breadcrumbs. Serve it for breakfast with eggs, for dinner with a steak, or mix in some rotisserie chicken for a quick and easy dinner!
I have partnered with Borden® Cheese for this Cheesy Potato Casserole recipe. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Cookies & Cups possible. Borden® Cheese believes that the kitchen is where meals and memories are made, especially during the holidays, and I couldn’t agree more.
Cheesy Potato Casserole is the Perfect Easy Side Dish, Breakfast, or Dinner Idea!
This ooey-gooey recipe is so great all year long, but it’s truly a favorite at the holidays! The buttery, crunchy topping paired with the creamy, cheesy potato filling makes this dish one that even your picky eaters will enjoy. There are so many memories my family has made enjoying holiday meals together and this recipe is a fan favorite in my household.
It’s a lot like the popular Hash Brown Casserole from Cracker Barrel, but even cheesier and it’s the perfect side dish on your holiday table, at BBQs, potlucks, or as a weeknight dinner!
I especially love making Cheesy Potato Casserole around the holidays because it is the perfect addition to my holiday spread. Whether it is gathering around the kitchen to bake the recipe or having fun and enjoying this delicious recipe together, Borden® Cheese is a key ingredient for any family occasion during the heartwarming season.
The Easiest Side Dish Recipe Ever!
Potato Casserole is a nostalgic recipe for me. It’s a potluck classic also known as Hash Brown Casserole or Funeral Potatoes. It’s one of those recipes that I looked forward to during the holidays, as it was always a standard!
I love using Borden® Cheese Shreds especially when I make casseroles. Borden® Cheese is crafted with high-quality, wholesome ingredients, which means the Shreds melt perfectly, adding delicious cheesy goodness and fun to whatever recipe you’re making!
How Do You Make Cheesy Potato Casserole?
The great thing about this recipe is how EASY it is! All you do is mix your ingredients together, top it with some cheese and buttery breadcrumbs and bake it up! The prep time is literally about 5 minutes!
AND what’s so great is that you can prep this dish in advance, which is perfect for holiday entertaining. Prepare the recipe as written, cover it and pop it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake!
Do Your Hash Browns Need To Be Thawed?
I actually bake mine frozen, which is how I wrote the recipe. But absolutely you can thaw them out. I would just bake the casserole for 10 minutes less.
Do You Have To Use Cheddar Cheese?
Nope! You can use any type of cheese that melts well. I really love mild cheddar in this recipe, though, because it melts creamy and evenly and adds a nice mild cheese flavor.
If you’re looking to add a little extra flavor –Borden® Cheese has a wide range of offerings to satisfy every taste, including Mild Cheddar, Mozzarella, Mexican, Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, American, Colby Jack and more.
Other Seasoning Ideas For Potato Casserole
This recipe is such a great, simple starting point. While I love it as-written I have made it with tons of variations and have also really enjoyed that as well! It’s a great recipe to get creative with and make your own! Here are some ideas:
- Add in a packet of dry ranch seasoning or Italian salad dressing mix in place of the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Use crushed potato chips, Ritz crackers, or corn flake cereal on top instead of panko breadcrumbs.
- Add cooked and chopped bacon to the potato mixture or on top!
- Add a little heat and add some cayenne pepper into the mixture.
- Sub in 8 ounces of cream cheese for 1 cup of the sour cream.
- Sauté some diced onions until they are caramelized and mix those into the potato mixture before baking.
- Shred a rotisserie chicken and add that into the mixture to make a whole meal!
Looking For More Side Dish Recipes? Try these:
This easy casserole dish is a great side dish or breakfast option!
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 (10.5- ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 cups Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Mild Cheddar, divided
- 1 (30- ounce) package shredded hash brown potatoes, frozen
- 1 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- optional – parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the sour cream, milk, cream of chicken soup, pepper, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and 3 cups of Borden® Cheese Shreds. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Stir in the frozen potatoes.
- Pour the potato mixture into the prepared pan. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- In a medium bowl stir together the melted butter and panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle this on top of the cheese and bake for 50-55 minutes, until the mixture is bubbly and the top is golden.
Store airtight in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make ahead option – prepare casserole as stated and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, casserole recipe, potato casserole, potatoes, side dish, hashbrown casserole
Want To Save This Recipe?
Link to the original: Original Source Link