Oh but why have I waited so long to make hot buttered bourbon?!
Okay, in truth, I’ve had this on my list for the last three years. YES THREE. Time got away from me each season, or I had a new baby, or something “better” came through my mind and I never stuck to my plan of making hot buttered bourbon.
Well, I regret it. Big time!
This is theeeee winter drink. Your cozy, sit-by-the-fire new years eve drink. It’s better than a glass of champagne if I do say so myself. And I LOVE champagne.
What blows my mind about hot buttered bourbon is that you actually make a sweet, spiced butter ahead of time. Or right before, but what I’m saying is that it lasts a long time, so you CAN make it ahead of time if necessary. Isn’t that wonderful?
You can prep the butter, stick it in the fridge and bring it out when you’re in dire need of a bourbon drink.
Let me tell you about this butter!
Here’s the thing: it is basically frosting. YEP.
When you think about it, it’s brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, spices – it’s basically spiced brown sugar buttercream. Sure, the ratios would differ if you’d use it to frost a cake, but oh my word. This is incredible.
Since it’s “basically frosting” you do realize that you could technically take a taste of the butter with a spoon, right? No idea how I know that…
Anyhoo – we’re going to whisk this butter into our booze. It’s a thing. Usually a thing done with rum, but I don’t really care about rum. It’s not that I dislike it, I just… am quite MEH about it. Bourbon tastes so much better to me!
So, top off a mug of bourbon with some hot boiling water, then whisk the butter into the bourbon. It’s insane. Seriously wonderful and comforting and tastes like absolute heaven. It melts in your mouth, which I realize sounds weird since it IS butter, but it’s so smooth and spiced. I adore it.
Things only get better when we top it with some fresh whipped cream. I leave it unsweetened and it cuts the bourbon and sweet sugary mix so well. It’s lovely. I also like to whip it just until peaks are about to form. So they haven’t formed yet – which means this is ridiculously soft whipped cream. Again, it kind of melts into the bourbon too.
HELLO! What a fantastic way to end the year.
Hot Buttered Bourbon
Hot Buttered Bourbon
Hot buttered bourbon is a warming, spiced cozy drink that is perfect for chilly nights! Save batter in the fridge so you can have it whenever you’d like!
buttered bourbon batter
- ½ cup unsalted butter, (softened)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
to make 1 drink:
- 1 to 2 shots bourbon ((I love Bulleit))
- 4 to 5 ounces boiling water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons buttered bourbon mix
- whipped cream for serving
- In a bowl of your electric mixer, place the butter, sugar, maple syrup, spices and salt. Beat on medium speed until combined and smooth. At this point, you can place the butter in a sealed container and store it in the fridge!
- To make the drink, bring a pot of water to a boil. Fill your mug with 1 to 2 shots of bourbon. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into the bourbon. Fill the mug with boiling water and whisk constantly until the butter melts and dissolves. Top with whipped cream and serve.
Decided this is my grown up hot cocoa.
Link to the original: Original Source Link