Learn how to make the BEST homemade coleslaw! Filled with red and green cabbage, carrots, and green onions, this easy recipe is healthy and delicious.
This easy coleslaw recipe is great for just about any occasion – a weeknight dinner, a fourth of July cookout, or a fun picnic lunch. Like all my favorite summer recipes, it’s packed with colorful veggies, and a lightly creamy, tangy dressing ties the whole thing together. It comes together in minutes, and it keeps well if you make it ahead of time. Just add veggie burgers, and you’ve got a perfect summer meal!
Coleslaw Recipe Ingredients
You only need a few basic ingredients to make this homemade coleslaw recipe! I like to think of it in two parts: the coleslaw mix and the dressing.
To simplify this coleslaw recipe, you can buy pre-shredded mix, but I like to make my own. I use these basic ingredients to give it a variety of colors, textures, and flavors:
- Cabbage – I use a mix of red and green cabbage, but just one will work here too. Thinly slice it with a sharp knife or mandoline.
- Carrots – They add extra color and a light sweetness. Instead of shredding the carrots on a box grater, use a vegetable peeler to slice them into thin strips.
- Scallions – You won’t find them in packaged coleslaw mix, but I love their fresh, oniony flavor and green hue.
That’s it for the veggies! Now, you need these ingredients to make the coleslaw dressing:
- Mayo – Make this recipe vegan by substituting store bought vegan mayo, or make your own.
- Apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard – They give the dressing a tangy depth of flavor.
- Maple syrup – It balances the assertive mustard and vinegar.
- Celery seeds – These little guys give this coleslaw recipe a delicious savory flavor. If you don’t have them on hand, they’re worth investing in. I love them in my deviled eggs, egg salad, and potato salad, too!
Just add salt and pepper to make the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Coleslaw
Making this coleslaw recipe couldn’t be easier! Here’s what you need to do:
First, make the dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, celery seed, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth!
Then, combine the veggies. Add the scallions, red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrot to a large bowl, and toss to combine.
Finally, mix it all together! Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture, and toss to coat. Season to taste, and enjoy!
If you want to get ahead, you can prep this recipe up to a day before you plan to eat it. The flavors meld and the veggies soften slightly as it sits, so it’s extra creamy and flavorful on day 2.
Coleslaw Serving Suggestions
Serve this coleslaw recipe with classic cookout fare like veggie burgers, portobello mushroom burgers, quinoa burgers, or BBQ jackfruit sandwiches. If you’re looking for another side dish to round out the meal, I recommend grilled veggies like corn on the cob, asparagus, zucchini, or these mixed veggie skewers. My watermelon salad, strawberry salad, or a simple fruit salad would be a great choice too.
More Favorite Summer Salads
If you love this easy coleslaw recipe, try one of these summer salads next:
Serves 4 to 6
- Scant 3/4 cup mayo or Vegan Mayo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into thin peels
- 3 scallions, chopped
Make the coleslaw dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, celery seeds, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper.
Make the coleslaw. In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, and scallions. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, as desired.
Link to the original: Original Source Link