Nothing says comfort food like lasagna, and my Easy Eggplant Lasagna hits all the right notes! It’s a miracle in a pan, honestly – cheesy, saucy, home-cooking to the core. Best of all, this version is good for you, and comes together in a snap!
This Easy Lasagna is Low Carb, Keto and Vegetarian!
For such an indulgent dish, you might be surprised to find that it’s also compatible with a lot of special dietary requirements. The meatless sauce is vegetarian, packing in the protein thanks to a healthy blend of fresh and aged cheeses.
Since I use eggplant (yum!) rather than traditional pasta, it’s also a low-carb dish that fits a Keto lifestyle. Score! And, don’t be intimidated by using eggplant– it’s actually super easy. Just layer, bake, and go!
WHAT DOES EGGPLANT LASAGNA TASTE LIKE?
Eggplant lasagna is kind of like a cross between Eggplant Parmesan and traditional lasagna. When roasted, eggplant has a mild, savory flavor and texture similar to zucchini. Combined with flavorful Italian tomato sauce and a delicious cheese blend, the result is absolutely drool-worthy. Even picky eaters always come back for more.
- 2 Large Eggplants: Slice these into ¼ inch long slices – you’ll need about 18 slices.
- Salt and Olive Oil: For seasoning the eggplant slices.
- Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Parmesan Cheeses
- Fresh Garlic
- Dried Basil and Oregano
- Prepared Pasta Sauce: I like marinara, but you can use any jarred pasta sauce. If looking to lower them carbs, get a jar of Keto Marinara Pasta Sauce
HOW TO MAKE EGGPLANT LASAGNA
- Roast Eggplant Slices: Preheat oven to 400˚F. Arrange eggplant slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. When the oven has heated, wipe the salt and moisture away from the eggplant slices with a paper towel. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes, or until just tender.
- Prepare Cheese Filling: While the eggplant slices are roasting, beat the egg in a large mixing bowl. Add ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, garlic, herbs, and pepper. Mix well.
- Layer Ingredients in Baking Dish: Remove eggplant slices from the oven, and lower the oven temperature to 375˚F. Layer ⅓ of the marinara, ⅓ of the eggplant slices, and ⅓ of the cheese mixture in a baking dish. Repeat 2 more times. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake the Lasagna: Cover the dish and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover, and bake 20 minutes longer, or until the lasagna is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown. Let stand 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Choose the best eggplants: Use large, shiny, eggplants with few blemishes and no soft, wrinkled spots.
- Peel on or off? You can peel the eggplant, or you can leave the peel on. Either way, wash the eggplant well before slicing.
- Use the best pasta sauce: The pasta sauce is a very important part of this dish, so choose one that has a quality flavor profile, and adjust the salt if necessary before layering.
WHAT GOES WITH EGGPLANT LASAGNA?
- I love serving eggplant lasagna with breadsticks and a garden salad. It’s a classic combination!
- You can also whip up a light fruit salad using whatever seasonal produce you have, and garnishing it with sweetened whipped cream.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT LEFTOVERS
- To store in the freezer: Wrap leftover portions tightly in plastic wrap and store in plastic food storage bags, pushing out all of the air before sealing. You can also vacuum-seal individual portions.
- To refrigerate: Cover well and keep for up to 5 days.
- To reheat lasagna: First thaw in the refrigerator (if frozen). Then reheat in the oven at 350˚F until just heated through.
More Eggplant Recipes
Tools Used in this Recipe
Easy Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
Roasted eggplant is layered with Italian tomato sauce and three cheeses, then baked to perfection.
Cuisine: Italian, American
Servings: 6 people
Calories: 430 kcal
- 2 Large eggplants sliced longwise into ¼-inch thick slices (you’ll need about 18 slices)
- Salt for sprinkling
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 Large egg
- 1 container (15 ounces) Ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 jar (23.5 ounces) low carb pasta sauce (such as marinara)
Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Transfer eggplant slices to the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Let stand while the oven preheats.
When oven is heated, wipe down the eggplant slices with paper towels.
Brush eggplant slices with olive oil.
Put in the oven and roast for 15 minutes, or until just tender.
In the meantime, beat the egg in a large mixing bowl.
To the egg add ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, ¼ cup parmesan, minced garlic, oregano, basil, and black pepper; mix until thoroughly combined.
Remove eggplants from oven.
Lower oven temperature to 375˚F.
Spread ⅓ cup marinara on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
Layer 6 eggplant slices over the marinara sauce.
Spread ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture over the eggplants.
Spread ⅓ of the marinara sauce over the ricotta.
Repeat the layering 2 more times, ending with a layer of marinara sauce.
Sprinkle remaining shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the marinara sauce.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and continue to bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly, and cheese is melted.
Remove lasagna from oven and let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
Top with fresh basil, cut, and serve.
NET CARBS: 10 g
Easy Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 430 Calories from Fat 315
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 14g70%
Vitamin A 1195IU24%
Vitamin C 12mg15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Want To Save This Recipe?
Link to the original: Original Source Link