This entrée is served with spaetzle at the Ox Yoke Inn, in Amana, Iowa. You will need to begin marinating the beef two days ahead.
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 4 1/2-pound top round roast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- 1/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large saucepan and bring to boil. Cool.
- Place beef in bowl slightly larger that beef. Pour marinade over. Cover and chill 2 days, turning beef twice daily.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove beef from marinade and place in roasting pan; reserve marinade. Roast beef until tender, about 2 hours. Transfer beef to carving board; cool. Pour any accumulated juices from roasting pan into marinade. Strain marinade (do not clean roasting pan).
- Mix 1/4 cup oil and flour in heavy large skillet. Stir over medium heat until dark brown, about 10 minutes. Gradually mix in 2 cups marinade (discard any remaining marinade) and broth. Boil until thick, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Mix in sugar and cookie crumbs. Pour into roasting pan and place over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice beef and arrange in large baking dish. Pour sauce over meat. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill).
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake beef until heated through, about 15 minutes.
Link to the original: Original Source Link