This comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Breast recipe is tender, healthy, and as simple as could be. Made with a flavorful blend of herbs and spices, it’s guaranteed to turn out perfectly juicy and delicious each and every time.
Perfect Chicken Breast Cooked in the Crockpot
Chicken is so versatile, especially this easy recipe! It can be used in a wide variety of dishes: from Chicken Enchiladas, to this Mango Chicken Salad, or our wonderful Chicken Broccoli Casserole, it’s great to have cooked chicken ready to go because it is an easy way to prepare meals ahead to save time and money!
Chicken is especially good for shredding and freezing – later you can put it into sandwiches, chop it up in soup, roll it up into tacos, or toss it into your favorite pasta recipe. This slow cooker recipe leaves you with juicy, perfectly seasoned chicken breasts, and it’s almost completely hands-off.
Besides using this chicken for meal prepping and recipes, it’s also a fabulous dish in its own right. Put it in the slow cooker and leave it for a few hours, and you’ll have a hearty dinner that makes for a wonderful meal! Just serve with your favorite sides. 👇
How to Keep Slow Cooker Chicken Tender & Moist
You may have had slow-cooked chicken breasts before, only to end up with tough, rubbery, or chewy meat. Not good! This is usually the result of overcooking or cooking at too high of a temperature. You’ll want to avoid overcooking – a meat thermometer is a MUST, and a timer is also a helpful tool for this. Also, be careful to check the temperature you are cooking at. Some crock pots do cook hotter than others.
What You’ll Need
So, just what goes into this recipe? Just a few simple items that you probably already have on hand. Here’s the full list – and yes, it really is this easy!
- Chicken Broth: Low sodium chicken broth is my go-to, but you can also use regular chicken broth, bone broth, veggie broth, or even just water!
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless breasts are what I use in this recipe.
- Olive Oil: Any mild oil works in this recipe.
- Herbs and Spices: Sweet paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, and dried oregano.
- Salt and Pepper
- Garnish: Fresh chopped parsley makes a great garnish, if you are serving the chicken right away.
Can I Put Frozen Chicken in the Slow Cooker?
Technically, yes, but, frozen chicken is not recommended by some slow cooker manufacturers, so I recommend using thawed chicken breast here. OR, check your slow cooker’s manual for safe handling.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Breast
Have you ever heard of a “dump and go” recipe? Well, this is definitely in that category! All you have to do is put your ingredients in, and let the crockpot do the rest.
- Prepare the Crockpot and the Chicken Breasts. Pour the broth (or water, whichever you prefer) inside the insert of your slow cooker. Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Rub the chicken with olive oil.
- Season the Chicken. Mix all of the seasonings in a small bowl: the salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and oregano. Rub this seasoning mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Cook. Place the chicken in the slow cooker, cover with the lid, and let it cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. The chicken is done when the internal temperature of the chicken registers at 165˚F.
- Rest and Serve. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and set it on a clean cutting board. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before cutting and serving.
Tips for Success
These chicken breasts may be easy to make, but there’s always room for a few helpful hints! Here are my favorite tips for the juiciest, most flavorful chicken possible.
- Browning: If you’d like a bit of browning on the cooked chicken, put it under the broiler for about 3 to 4 minutes after cooking.
- Meat Thermometer: This kitchen tool is super-handy when cooking meat. It will help ensure that your chicken is safely done, without overcooking.
- Salt: Try sprinkling your chicken with salt 10 to 15 minutes before cooking. This is a type of dry brining – the salting process helps the meat turn out extra flavorful.
Tasty Serving Suggestions
As I’ve said before, this chicken can be served in all kinds of ways, with all kinds of scrumptious side dishes! Here are a few of my family’s favorites.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- To store your chicken, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To reheat, put it in the microwave, or a 350˚F oven, until it is heated through. You can also reheat on the stovetop, in a covered skillet. Whichever method you choose, be sure not to overcook it, or it will be dry.
Can I Freeze Cooked Chicken Breast?
- Sure can! To freeze your slow cooker chicken breast, store in an airtight container or freezer bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in the fridge before using.
Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
This comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Breast recipe is made with a mouthwatering blend of herbs and spices. Guaranteed to turn out perfectly every time!
Pour water or chicken broth inside the insert of your slow cooker.
Pat dry the chicken breasts with paper towels.
Rub the chicken with olive oil and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl combine the salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and oregano; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
Rub the chicken breasts with the seasoning mixture.
Transfer the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours, or until internal temperature of the chicken registers at 165˚F. Use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to check for doneness.
Remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and let the chicken rest for about 5 to 8 minutes before cutting and serving.
If you’d like a bit of browning on the cooked chicken, put it under the broiler for about 3 to 4 minutes after you cooked it in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Chicken Breast
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g10%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Vitamin A 164IU3%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
Keywords: chicken breast in crockpot, meal prep chicken, recipe for shredded chicken
Want To Save This Recipe?
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Link to the original: Original Source Link